Thursday, January 3, 2013

Everything I Need to Know I Learned In Relief Society

That is a strange title but it is true.  I started attending Relief Society as a non-member (due to circumstances of an ex-family member I couldn't join the church right away).  For three years I faithfully attended Relief Society and whatever meetings I could get to (excluding Sacrament Meetings).  It was in the late 1970's and they still had the mid-week meetings.  We had lessons called Cultural Refinement about other countries.  We learned a couple of words, favorites dishes served, about the literature, poetry, art, history about that country.  I loved the lessons and learned to appreciate other cultures.  I also learned a valuable lesson being taught at the time "God don't make junk" and if he didn't make junk and he made me then I had worth.  I also learned that to be creative you didn't have to come up with your whole new idea but instead you could take someone else's ideas, tweak them and make them yours in crafts etc.  That there were many ways to paint the same figurines and they were all different and interesting and lovely.  I learned that not all gifts and talents can be hung on walls.  We are all given talents and that I was given a talent for smiling at people.  I learned that it is okay to ask questions and usually the question I ask is one that at least ten other people wanted to.  I have never stopped asking questions since.  I learned there is no shame in not being able to do something and needing to ask someone who could to show me how.  I learned I don't need to be able to do the latest crafts that I still had value.  That is what I learned most of all; that I DID have value.  People who know me now would be amazed to learn that when I was in college I would walk with my head down and never meet anyone's eyes.  I learned in Relief Society that it is important to have eye contact with people.  I learned that I was dependable.  I learned that people liked me.  These are not the lessons you think of when you think of Relief Society but they are some of the ones I learned.  I also learned a story but I want to share it correctly so I will save it for another time.  Thank you for all your kind and supportive responses  to my first post..

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Judy!! I'm so glad you're doing this blog. It's a great outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tara--this is a great post! I am impressed with what you learned in Relief Society and I'm glad you were faithful in going to meetings so that you could become a member of the Church. You are definitely an integral part of your ward, neighborhood and family and we're glad you are here to share your thoughts, feelings and stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cultural refinement teacher in RS was my first non-Primary calling. I loved it! Sometimes I really miss the old church, the way it was before the 3-hour Sunday block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn says-
    Great first two posts! I am already learning new things about you. I am excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Judy! Thank you for leaving your comment on my blog... I think I know who you are. Small world after all!
    Aren't you the one who turned down Myrna's offer to go to an Arabic music class because you'd be too busy with your math class?
    I love to study too (on my own now) but maths are way out of my reach!
    Keep posting. You do write well. I loved "Brand New too"!
    By the way, once upon a time... a very long time ago, I spent quite a few years teaching Cultural Refinement in RS and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Mammodouy and stories, I don't know how to email you but wanted to thank you for your comment as well. Yes it is a small world and you and I have been connecting in all sorts of unknown ways over the last couple of years. Yes, I wasn't going to be able to take the music class but things have changed (math had to be postponed for a semester) and now Wally and I are both taking the music class. I am taking it for elective credit and he for audit status. What kinds of things are you studying?

    ReplyDelete